Saturday, July 31, 2021

Sir Reginald's First Visit or Where were you when the British came through

 Let me introduce myself... 

Sir Reginald Downtownton

I am Sir Reginald Matthew Downtownton. 12th Baronet of WaxBaxford, and seems I am in a sticky-wicket. That Major General Wolf character, whose regional accent is quite peculiar, had charmed myself  into writing a check. The complimentary box seats for the premier revival of Pirates of Penzance at the Savoy, did not hurt either. That rogue of a Major,( I  use rogue in place of a more appropriate curse), was now off touring Europe in Pirates. He had nary sent word if the monies had been spend on a new trolley or something else entirely.  So it looked like a trip to Rose Lake was in order. 

Downtownton Manor, Basingstoke, WaxBaxford


The Basingstoke Railway and Sanitation company could do without my guidance for the interim.  My new wife, Lady Leigh will accompany  me on the New Steamer HMS. Perambulator, as its modern constructions and speed makes the long journey passably tolerable. So off we will go to the wilds of Plancovania to confront the Rose Lake Improvement Co. and Professor Fishington.

HMS Perambulator


The steamship travel was uneventful,  thankfully. We arrived in New York and promptly boarded the Plancovania Central Railroad to Peesburgh. A car would be waiting to transport us to the Grand Cocotier Hotel, where a Dr Fishington would greet us and ensconce us in the Admiral Suite.

Grand Cocotier Hotel


Well, that was the plan, anyway.

In true American fashion, something went wrong. Numerous times. I can vouch for the sincerest of apologies all round ,but good gracious, what a bungle it was. I will spare you the gross details of our endeavor as they are too many and of topsy-turvy in their nature. Finally in the Suite, which had a faint lingering smell in odd corners we could not identify, we chalked it up to the age of the establishment. 

Tomorrow would be an interesting day, as Dr Fishington said, he had an important discovery he wished to share with us. Little did I know how interesting it would be.

After a bit of confusion and meeting another co founder, (How many were there?) JP Marvel drove us in his Bearcat Coupe to Dr Fishington . An especially chatty and possibly daft hatter ,as he seemed to think we were from Australia. We met the Dr. at the front of his charming little park. The friendly attitude of everyone we met and the cleanliness of the public areas was impressive. I began to change my perception of this being a backwater. He introduced himself and offered an apology that the Major General himself was not here to greet us. He had been delayed in Florida with transporting a new animal for the Rose Lake Zoo. "You have a Zoo  I was shocked, but not truly surprised ." Well Sir, its still in its infancy ,not ready to open to public scrutiny just yet."



Mr Fishington seemed a bit evasive about the project, when I queried several other questions. He said the Major would dispel any doubts I had. I immediately knew to be wary...He gestured in to what seemed to be a gift shop. " The first stop on our tour" He smiled. I was not amused. "It seems trinkets and inexpensive fluff wont pay the bills, Good Sir" " Oh Sir Reginald , its not this shop, its what is underneath it" Leigh looked at me a bit alarmed, like she might have to crawl on her belly like a reptile, to get wherever we were going . She had already suffered Seasickness terribly, on the trip over.

" Good Sir, If you think for the moment a Downtownton  would crawl upon the ground,  you are very well mistaken" Mr Fishington looked at me and burst out laughing. I was incensed. As I turned to go he stopped my with these words. "We discovered a Cavern of the most amazing size and grandeur. A Tour will be given for a modest fee , so people may experience a new wonder of the modern world. This in itself will save Rose Lake from the debt of the Great Depression, I have no doubt." I want to give you and your Lady a personal tour.



The ingenuity of Americans never ceased to amaze me.


No comments:

Post a Comment