Friday, August 6, 2021

The Hot Crossed Buns of Downtownton or and baby make three

 Dear Diary,

There wasn't a good scone to be found. Not here in Plancovania anyway. The cravings were strange at best. This pregnancy had already surprised Reginald, "My god dearest, how did this happen?" What do you mean , how did this happen? YOU were there! The night on the HMS Perambutalor ,the stars were out as we strolled the promenade deck. You told me, I quite fancy you. You said, "I'm off to Bedfordshire." THAT'S how it happened! You my dear, are a knob.  You best pull yourself together if you want to be a good father to this child. Traveling back to Waxbaxford is out of the question, till our child is born, so just add another string to your bow. NOW find me a buttered scone with clotted cream! ". I have never seen Reggie move that  fast... 

My favorite-- Scones with clotted cream

Dear Diary,

As much as I was missing my family terribly, the gentlemen at Rose Lake were bend over backward to assist me. It was terribly flattering and Reggie was having none of it. " What do they know about birthing a child?" He went off one day. " Nothing, I am sure of it, but they at least are trying to make me as feel comfortable as possible. Now go to your rubbish trucks and do what ever it is you do." I was only slightly out of sorts that day. He stopped a moment, "Sarah Leigh,  are sure this is what you want, to have our child born in America?"  I pursed my lips "I want a healthy child. THAT is all I want." Reginald nodded. "Right-o then, we'll stay and make the best of things. The Sanitation Company is taking off and monies are coming in to support this little nugget." As for your scones, I have commissioned a fellow to build us a bakery to supply Rose Lake with the Best British Baked Goods to be had this side of the pond. Since I am the Master of Waxbaxford , I shall call it Master Bakers and the scones named after you, my Sarah Leigh"

Some of the Master Bakers

Dear Diary,

JP Marvel was such the gallant gentleman. The new hats he had gifted to me were beyond description.  Even in my gravitas state, I felt beautiful. He is my closet confidant having no female friends here as of yet. My social calendar was quite limited these days. But he assured me once the child was born, I would be the toast of Peepsburgh. Staying in hotel had became tiresome, but the Major insisted as help would always be available from the women folk employed there.  He graciously offered rooms in his home Savoy Hall, once the child was born. Our own home, Watership Downs, was taking longer to finish with the war beginning and able bodied men in short supply. Mr. Fishington was himself painting a mural for the baby's room in the classic style I enjoyed . So all is well

In one of Marvel's amazing hats

Dear Diary,

This time in America has changed Reggie, He has become more soft spoken and understanding. The constraints of his privileged life were slowly fading away. It was a new start and I was glad of it. The babe was due any day ,according to the midwife, So I prepared best I could with what we had. The Rose Lake 'Uncles" as I called them would send lavish gifts daily, most inappropriate for such a young infant of either gender... The latest was a phonograph with 14 records of all the Major's Gilbert and Sullivan Operettas. That the child might appreciate the works of his or her fellow Englishman. Reggie was only slightly annoyed ,as I played my favorite of Pirates and sang along with the ensemble. "Must I hear the man rattle on even when he is NOT in the room", he blustered one day. "And that accent, just were is he from? He is quite evasive about it and I cannot seems to place it. Its all muddled, he uses the excuse of living here for many years.  AND how old is he? I have Questions, Sarah Leigh , I have questions!" 

Sketch of Watership Downs 


No comments:

Post a Comment