Friday, January 6, 2023

 An excerpt from the Downtownton Diaries....

Reginald Downtownton writes:

Late 1949

I must admit, I have grown quite fond of Cousin Stanley these past few years. His eccentricities and theatrical whims make for an interesting business partner, but he has been most kind to us and is Agnes' favorite of her Rose Lake Uncles (no one tell Fishington!)

He regularly takes the ladies out on the lake and regales them with showtunes, I myself have joined them on occasion and I must say they are the most enjoyable voyages!


So what to do to show the man my gratitude for his kindness and hospitality?

I noticed his prized motorcar had been in the garage for a while and asked why it was no longer on the road. "The fluffer has sprocketed the kerjigger" he replied, so one can only assume he knows nothing of mechanical engineering... but an idea was born! 

Downtownton Estate has survived this ghastly war unscathed and so I asked Jeeves to go to the garages and retrieve a vehicle to send to us post haste, after all, we had so many I couldn't see mother missing one. He found a rather marvelous Rolls and organized for it to be packaged in a crate and sent to us in Peepsburgh. 

After a few words (and a handful of this country's unfathomable currency!) I was able to convince the local lumber company to accept this rather large shipment at their Port Parlusiana docks where I would meet it to drive up the hill and through the Rosebud Tunnel to the park. Why this country can't drive on the correct side of the road is beyond me and it made for an interesting journey back to the park but thankfully myself and the Rolls arrived unscathed.

I parked in the Bruin circle and sent for the Major General. On arrival his eyes lit up "what a fine automobile you have there Reggie!" he exclaimed "what a fine automobile YOU have there!" I replied. I have never before been kissed by a man, I can only assume it is a local custom or another of his eccentric habits, but I am assured by Marvel this means he liked the gift. I barely had time to ask before he had grabbed an usher from the Bruin and instructed them to chauffeur him around the local area to show off his new motorcar. As they drove away, I noticed him roll down the window, waving to all and sundry. 

What a delightfully strange man I thought to myself, but one I couldn't imagine being without.

No comments:

Post a Comment