Friday, January 6, 2023

Sir Reginald's Journal Part 2 or Up the Family Tree

 An excerpt from Sir Reggie's Journal, or what became the Downtownton Diaries. When they later wanted to write memoirs. 

Late 1944. War has been raging in Europe. So, the Downtownton's are marooned in America.  Transatlantic travel has become too dangerous. Monies have begun to get tied up at home and Father is scrambling to keep our Family empire afloat. With the war effort mounting, he has no time to invest in his wandering son's financial state. But who comes to the rescue? Major General Stanley Wolf. I possibly have misjudged the man. He has been more than generous with his time and money, as the Great Depression taxed his own family's fortune. He offered up his palatial estate, "Savoy Hall" on Society Hill in nearby Peepsburg. As accommodations at the hotel were a bit crowded from our growing family. Agnes found the Major's yards a delightful playground. 

As I was designing the new Boathouse for Rose Lake the MG thought it would be fitting to name the bar atop of it after my grandfather. He was a Captain in the Royal Navy. The HMS. Kerfluffle. I was at first aghast, but as I thought about it, grandfather enjoyed a pint or two in his day. But there was certainly no way the MG could have known that or how possibly the Kerfluffle ran aground in Portsmouth after an onboard celebration honoring Queen Victoria. Or could he?

When over a brandy by his study fireplace, I asked him about his British heritage.  He stammered and let out a long sigh, "My good fellow, for you are a nobleman of proper birth, I shall tell you a secret. Well, truthfully, it's not, but I like to call it that.  My mother was an English actress, from a quite prominent family. They did not approve of her chosen profession, or her intended, an American Actor, so she was disinherited. They never spoke to her again. Heartbroken, she immigrated to America. She and my father married and came to settle in New York City where his family and fortune was. There I was born and exposed to the operas of Gilbert and Sullivan. Sharing my mother's love for her homeland, I embraced it with a passion. As my career took off, even at a young age, elder Wolf Relatives looked down on my chosen profession.  To appease them, I took the accent of my mother and made it my own. My elders then could pass me off as a distant cousin. As my career flourished, and after playing the Major General too much acclaim, it became habit, and no one seemed the wiser. The only one's privy to the charade are, Doc Fishington, my special best friend, partner, confidant, et all and JP Marvel. He found out by accident after an especially drunken brawl when we had engaged with some rowdies from Peepsburg, as I seem to curse in American"....

"Be what it may, these days it is what the public expects, no demands. Who am I to disappoint my fans?" He smiled and twisted his mustache, "Oh good sir. If my mother and the Crown had ever discovered some of my adventures, well, let's just say, knighthood would be out of the question. " I laughed at his frankness and was honored to be let in on his history. I leaned into him and said " You are a credit to your mother and the crown. You will always be a countryman to me"

The Major paused again, he rose from his chair and from the Bookcase drew a worn bible. "This was my mothers, the only thing she kept from her past life. He passed it to me and motioned me to open it. An old letter in shaky handwriting was suck in between the pages. "Dearest Elizbeth, " I read, "It is with great distress that we must do this but, you have given us no alternative. I will wish you the best of luck in your chosen profession and your Matrimonial union. But no monies will be forthcoming, as we cannot support either. While, you may be dead to the others, you will always have my heart. My love always, your Grandad, Sir Montague Downtownton"

 I stared at the letter in my hand. "Aunt Elizabeth was your mother? We had been told she died. I am appalled, no horrified, at the actions of my family. I must apologize..." The Major held up his hand. "No apologies Cousin, if I may call you that, it was done before you were born. Sir Montague is our grandfather and the only one that still loved my mother. "   It suddenly came to me, "That is why you suggested his name for the boathouse bar. " He chucked, "I must confess, this is also why I sought you out in London. I wanted to meet family. But I certainly could not drop this on you then. It was my plan to get you here to Rose Lake. To get to know you. To discover what kind of man you were, to discover what kind of man I was.  I was a Downtownton, but had no clue what that was. I apologize for my deception all this time. It is not a scheme or evil plan. No, it's about finding family." The Major sat back in his chair, his hands over his eyes, hiding his distress.  

This news was quite astonishing, I had no response to his grief. The door to the study quietly opened, it was Doc Fishington. He gazed at the MG, now turned away from us, silent. "Ahhh, seems he has confessed all to you, Sir Reginald." He approached the Major and laid a gentle hand on his shoulder. The Major slumped a bit, but then recovered his composure. He turned around and stood. He cleared his throat and spoke without the accent.   "If by all this you wish to return to England after the war, you will be compensated for your contributions fully, no questions asked. This confession will never leave this room, you have our word. Your family will not be shamed by my presence in its tree." I stood and in a moment of certainly not British tradition or protocol, hugged the Major General. 

I do not know who was more surprised.

"Well, that went better than expected." Doc smirked, as the Major struggled to break free of my grasp. " Welcome to the family, Stanley Wolf". The Major let out a laugh to calm my nerves. "I say, Cousin," the accent was back with a vengeance. " Shall we tell the misses over tea tomorrow?" 

So, it seems my life in America would include family. One of my choosing. Which was far better gift than any man could ask for.  

 







No comments:

Post a Comment